Norway Study Visa Requirements and process
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Norway, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Norway permanently, you will have to apply for a different Norwegian Schengen Visa, accordingly. You can apply for the Norwegian Schengen Visa since 2001 when Norway as an EFTA Member also became a member state of the Schengen Area.
In order to be granted a student visa for Norway, you must have been admitted to a field of study at a college or university (with some exemptions). After you’ve received your letter of admission you should contact your nearest Norwegian Embassy or Consulate for information on the study permit application procedure, and apply from your country of origin. While some candidates can apply online from within Norway or through a Norwegian embassy, most students will need to hand in a paper application form to their closest Norwegian embassy or consulate. When you hand in your student residence permit application form, you must also provide your passport, along with other necessary documentation.
General Required Documents for a Norway Visa Application:
- Firstly, download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Norway Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a Norway Visa.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Travel Insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Norway and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Norway and itinerary
- Flight Reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Norway. Learn how to make flight itinerary for visa application!
- Proof of accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Norway. Learn how to get hotel reservation for visa application!
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Norway. A foreign national who seeks to enter the territory of Norway needs to attest to the Embassy or Consulate when applying for a Norwegian Visa owning of at least 500 NOK that are equivalent to 53.34€. However, this number is not officially fixed and typically the amount is decided on a case-by-case basis.
We’re the global leaders. Find out why we are the best at what we do.
Listen to what other students have to say about their experiences abroad.