Every year, Canada welcomes more than 350,000 international students who intend to study at Canadian educational institutions. Students from international jurisdictions must apply for a Canada student visa/study permit: a document that allows a foreign national to study in Canada at a registered academic institution for the duration of a particular course/ program. This article provides necessary information about all the important aspects of Canadian Student Visa such as acceptance rate, the application process, eligibility criteria, documents required, reasons for visa rejection, etc.
Types of Entry Visas Required to Study in Canada
International applicants who are applying for a Canadian student visa are required to have TRV (temporary resident Visa or eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) for entry in Canada.
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
A Temporary Resident Visa, commonly called an entry visa, is an official document that signifies that an applicant has met all the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. A TRV is issued by an immigration officer to be placed in the applicant’s passport.
Application Process for Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
International applicants can apply for TRV online or offline. Though the document requirements are similar, applicants who apply through the offline mode are required to submit the applications for TRV to the visa centre or office in their home country. The sections below detail the process of online as well as the offline application process for TRV.
- As far as proof of funds, the student must submit the documents mentioned below:
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) is required.
- Presently even ITR returns are required.
Letter of acceptance
Canada Study Visa Requirements – Requirements for students who want to study in Canada, please find below a brief of the same. We need an unconditional offer letter or LOA, this needs to be submitted whicle applying for visa under the study permit application New SDS rule.
- To prove identity, the student must submit:
- Two recent passports sized photographs with the name and date of birth.
- Valid passport.
Documents Checklist for SDS (Student Direct Stream):
1. SDS Checklist – Attach Checklist as your application.
2. Application form fully completed,dated and signed, indicating your personal mailing address, reliable phone contact, and your personal email address (if you agree to e-mail communications).
3. Original, valid passport for yourself, as well as a photocopy of the bio data page
4. Family Information Form and Student Questionnaire (leaving no gaps).
5. Two passport photographs with a white background for yourself and each family member requesting a visa. The photographs should have your name printed on the back, dated and taken in the past 6 months.
6. Letter of Acceptance from your SDS educational institute in Canada stating unconditional admission, course title, duration of study, level of study, start date and latest possible date of admission.
7. Use of a Representative form (IMM 5476) (if applicable)
8. IELTS test results taken within last 24 months with overall band not less than 6.0, with no individual band lower than 5.5.
9. Photocopy of the most recent diploma/leaving certificate, and most recent mark sheets (for entire program; consolidated mark sheets are NOT acceptable)
10. Copy of receipts for tuition payment provided by the SDS institution.
11. Proof of funds: You MUST demonstrate the purchase of a special (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution, in the amount of $10,000 CAD to cover living expenses for your first year in Canada. Please consult page 2 for information on how to obtain a GIC. Official GIC document is mandatory.
12. Copy of medical examination form IMM1017 if you opted to undergo a medical examination before submitting your application.
To file Study Permit application under SDS, it is mandatory to show a GIC certificate obtained from Nova Scotia Bank or ICICI proving that funds to the extent of CAD$ 10000 are available as living costs for the student. After reviewing your application, the Visa officer will decide if an interview is necessary.
- It is mandatory to complete a medical examination prior to submission of your application. Medical results are valid for one year
- Only one application per person per semester will be processed under the SDS (Student Partnership Program) & Canada Study Visa Requirements that you need to know. Subsequent applications for the same semester following a refusal will NOT form part of SDS processing
- To file Study Permit application under SDS, it is mandatory to show a GIC certificate obtained from Nova Scotia Bank or ICICI proving that funds to the extent of CAD$ 10000 are available as living costs for the student.
- After reviewing your application, the Visa officer will decide if an interview is necessary. The Visa interview will be taken at CHC, New Delhi